Skip to main content

Living the Blessed Life!

Proverbs 10:2 Tainted wealth has no lasting value, but right living can save your life.
"Hi Mrs. Chavis", the lady sitting in the foyer of the restaurant said kindly. I greeted her and looked closely - trying to figure out who she was. She looked vaguely familiar, but my mind was drawing a blank. Her hair and clothes were disheveled and in need of washing. She looked to be in her 70's and was obviously not in good health. And was that alcohol I smelled on her? I pushed these thoughts out of my mind and stepped closer... "I'm trying to remember where I know you from, sweetie". When she spoke her name to me, I tried not to show my surprise. Could this be true? This was not an elderly woman! She was younger than me! My mind was flooded with the memories of her story... Living in a small town, you hear things about people...
Her husband was one of the wealthiest and most prominent men in our town. He owned several properties and when he divorced his wife (who was the Mayor of Spring Lake!) well... it made the headlines. Of course days after their divorce was final, he married a beautiful young woman - nearly 25 years younger than him - whom he had been living with. 
And now she sat looking up at me - 25 years later... unrecognizable. I sat down beside her and said, "It's so good to see you Cynthia... how have you been?" She began to pour her heart out to me. She pulled up her pants leg to show me a bandage - telling me how desperately she needed our church to pray for her. A six month old wound was not healing because of a circulatory blockage. She told me that she needed surgery to save her leg, but that she had no insurance. When I asked about her husband, she told me that he was in an Alzheimer patient in a sanitarium... and that all of his estate had been absorbed by the nursing homes and twenty-four hour care he needed for the past ten years. She only had one of the rental homes left, where she now lives... in near poverty. 
By this time the rest of our group was exiting the restaurant, and I gathered them to pray for this precious lady. We anointed her with oil and prayed a prayer of healing and blessing over her. She sobbed and promised to come to church... and then she claimed her healing right there. We rejoiced with her and I gave her our church card and contact information.  
My husband and I drove home reflecting on the last few times we had seen this family. Her husband owned a Garden Center where we frequently went for plants and such... we recalled how vehement he was against religion, God and Christians. I remember that his young wife would just shake her head and smile, because she went to church occasionally, and he would just rant about her wasting her time and his money. When the Garden Center closed, we heard through the grapevine that he was ill and that they had lost the business... and then later that he was in a nursing home. 
In my Bible reading this morning, this verse in Proverbs reminded me of the life of this couple. He was a millionaire - a prominent man in our city. She lived the high life. Wanted for nothing... but tainted wealth has no lasting value. When we come to the end of our days... right living is what will sustain us and give us hope! I am so grateful for my life today. I may not have tasted of the wealth of this world, but I'm living the BEST LIFE! I'm living a BLESSED LIFE! And I thank God for every breath!
 

Comments

Cindy said…
What a touching story, and to think, that could have been me. Living the blessed life in a tiny home is better than living the high life on tainted monies, that is for certain. I'm so thankful for the small blessings and the great mercies of God.
Have a good day, lovely lady!
Hugs, Cynthia
Amen to Cynthia's comment. I, too, am living the BLESSED, BLEST, and BEST life!

Hugs and happy highways,
Kelley~

Popular posts from this blog

Write the Vision!

Dreams really do come true... if you work hard enough! I have told my story - but just in case you're new to my life - let me catch you up real quick: In 2008, a breast cancer diagnosis directed me to go back to college and study cancer - and alternative medicine My first day of radiation was also my first day of classes at Everglades University in a Bachelor of Science program In 2012, I graduated with a B.S. in Alternative Medicine In 2016, I received my M.P.H. (Masters in Public Health Administration with a Concentration in Alternative and Complementary Medicine) College opened up information about modalities I knew I wanted to incorporate into my life - with the MAIN TWO being -  Medical Thermography  Japanese technology of Kangen Water.  Long story short, God brought both of these services into my life miraculously. I had my first thermography appointment in May of 2017, which culminated with an offer to buy the Thermography business from the current owner.  And here we are -

Peace is the Umpire!

I recently discovered a new decision-making process. It seemed so practical - so I tucked the thought away in my mind.  A few days later, I read confirmation from the word! So, I used this method and it worked!  Let me share it with you:  This is the formula I found for decisions you need to make; or opportunities to consider.  Step One:  Write out the decision you need to make in your journal or on a notepad. Step Two: How do you feel when you think about accepting the opportunity? Think about saying “Yes, I'm going to do this”. Write out how this thought makes you feel. Step Three: How do you feel when you think about not accepting that opportunity, not going forward? Write out how you feel when you consider just backing off and saying “No, I’m not going to do this”. Step Four: Which of those decisions brought you peace when you considered your answer? My daily Bible reading brought me the following confirmation to use with these steps! Colossians 3:15 GNT The peace that Christ g

Praying Them Home...

I still have a copy of my son Cortt’s deployment orders for Iraq in my old Bible. One glance at that tearstained paper reminds me:   1- God doesn’t always say “Yes”. 2- I have trust issues.     I had faith God was going to delete those orders. I believed He was going to keep my son at home! I was sure of this. I vocalized it! I thanked God daily for it!   When Cortt and his unit shipped out to Afghanistan - my faith wavered slightly - but I was convinced God would not allow him to be sent into the Iraqi war zone!   So, when that dreaded day came - and he called to tell us - “I’m headed into Iraq. I don’t know when I’ll be able to communicate again - I’ll call as soon as I can.” I was done.   My faith failed.   For days on end - I could not - (or would not) pray. I was desperately worried and afraid - but, let me be honest… I was also angry. Why should I talk to God now? He had obviously ignored the past four months of my prayers and fasting. I had felt so much faith! I completely tr