Dreams really do come true... if you work hard enough!
I have told my story - but just in case you're new to my life - let me catch you up real quick:
- In 2008, a breast cancer diagnosis directed me to go back to college and study cancer - and alternative medicine
- My first day of radiation was also my first day of classes at Everglades University in a Bachelor of Science program
- In 2012, I graduated with a B.S. in Alternative Medicine
- In 2016, I received my M.P.H. (Masters in Public Health Administration with a Concentration in Alternative and Complementary Medicine)
- College opened up information about modalities I knew I wanted to incorporate into my life - with the MAIN TWO being -
- Medical Thermography
- Japanese technology of Kangen Water.
- Long story short, God brought both of these services into my life miraculously. I had my first thermography appointment in May of 2017, which culminated with an offer to buy the Thermography business from the current owner.
- And here we are - at Integrative MedSpace - Picture of Health & Thermography, LLC - with a Kangen Water Machine in the kitchen so I can share my amazing hydration solution with my clients!
- I am so grateful to be cancer free - and I am aware that cancer was the catalyst that changed everything about me in 2008!
Now... let me get to the actual message of this blog post!
During my college days - (I was in my 50's y'all) I sold security alarm systems (door-to-door) to help with all of the extra expenses. I worked for ADT - and we had a weekly sales meeting with our sales manager. One week, he assigned us to create a Vision Board. (Let me know in the comments if you have ever done this!) I was the only female on the team - and I'm pretty sure I was the ONLY one who actually created a Vision Board! I will post a picture of the board if I can ever find it (I've been looking for it for a week!) - but here is what I visualized...
To be in a space with other naturopathic and holistic practitioners - offering wellness and wholeness to the women of our community. I cut out pictures and glued them onto a posterboard. I didn't know how it would happen - the name of my business - or where it would be; but I visualized the space! I created a visual picture of what God was speaking into my heart and mind as I walked blindly through a cancer diagnosis, surgery, and treatments that scared me more than the disease. I dreamed of a place where caring, knowledgeable, medical professionals would offer me options that didn't terrify me... and I pledged, one day, I would be one of those professionals!
In December 10, 2022, as I stood in my new office space on the day of the Integrative MedSpace Grand Opening - I remembered that Vision Board. Here I was, standing in the middle of that dream. I had not looked at that poster for many years, but I had written it and visualized it!
I want to encourage you today - to WRITE IT DOWN!
- Write your dreams, visions, goals.
- Make a Vision Board.
- Set SMART goals. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely)
- Then - Take ACTION.
- Work. Learn. Research. Read.
- Work. Dream. Study.
- One day at a time.
- One step at a time.
- One DOT at a time...
But don't stress, because, "It is not your job to CONNECT the dots. You are only responsible to COLLECT the dots - then bring the dots to God and let HIM CONNECT them!" -Nika Maples-
The disciples collected the five loaves and two fish - and brought them to Jesus. HE performed the miracle! The success of the vision is not our responsibility! But it is our responsibility to WRITE it down... so we can remember and stay committed to the vision.
"Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it." Habbakuk 2:2
The Good News Translations says "Write down clearly on tablets what I reveal to you, so that it can be read at a glance."
A vision worth working for is worth WRITING down and READING over and over again. Placing it on a Vision Board is the perfect way to read it at a glance. In fact, I have my current "Vision Board" as a screensaver and wallpaper on my laptop and devices! This is the best idea ever!
I will tell you - if you don't write it down you will forget it! How sad, to forget the vision God gives you.
Here are a few other benefits of creating a Vision Board:
- Clarity - writing it down forces you to focus on what you really want and to understand what core values drive your desires.
- Growth - seeing dreams come to fruition is healthy for you. As you mature and grow, you can watch those dreams and goals change and eventually morph into your destiny.
- Motivational - when you get into a slump and feel like you've lost your mojo - your vision board can help you get it back - get back on track and challenge you to keep moving forward.
- Intentional - staying connected daily to the goals you've set for the year - or even the next decade - helps you prioritize what you are spending your time on. To keep working intentionally towards a certain dream takes discipline and consistency.
- Gratitude - every dream and vision on your list should come from a grateful heart. Actually, my current board could be called a "Gratitude Board", because the areas I am setting goals for are all of the things I am most grateful for in my life. My relationships - my health - my ministry and calling - and my work. This is one of the greatest benefits of writing your vision and looking at it daily. It keeps you fully aware of the goodness of God in your life.
Let me know in the comments if you would like more information along these lines - of Vision Boards and Goal Setting!
Thank you for reading this lengthy post!